Mikrotik CRS112-8P-4S-IN vs Cisco SG300-10MPP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Hey,

I'm looking for a small (8 Ports) managed Gigabit switch, ideally with PoE+.

The only hard requirements are full gigabit and port mirroring, VLAN (and integration with port mirroring) would be nice.

I have done a bit of research and the Mikrotik CRS112-8P-4S-IN and Cisco SG300-10MPP seem to fit.
I've heard the recommendation to stay away from brands like LinkSys, Mikrotik, Netgear, TP-Link quite often now.

The Cisco would cost me around 159€ used and without accessories, the Mikrotik ~115€ + 15€ for the 48V PSU.

Any opinions or other ideas?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Well... the SG300 is going end of support on may 31st 2023, while I can not say for sure, I suspect the Mikrotik will have support for a longer period of time. Obviously using a switch that is end of support is not ideal, as it will not get firmware updates (at least I assume that is how Cisco does it, the most recent firmware update is from june 2020, so they are not using a lot of resources on it at this point).

There are newer options like the SG250 and SG350 switches from Cisco (small business line) that probably also could do the trick.
You mention port mirroring is a must, how do you intend to use it? (do you want to mirror traffic from one port to 1 or 2 mirror ports? or do you want to mirror traffic on one or more VLANs to a single mirror port?)

The reason why I bring this up, is that some (if not most) switches will not allow you to capture both rx and tx traffic of a port and send it to 2 mirror ports. I have a SG250 switch that will only capture rx OR tx OR tx and rx combined of a port (which can lead to packet loss if the combined traffic of tx and rx exceeds the mirror port capacity) (it might support capture of VLAN traffic, I can not remember).
If this is a requirement, you may need to delve into the documentation of the devices you are looking at.