Micron 5200 ECO 3.84TB SATA SSD $99.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
If you are just after storage, it won't hurt, but I've tried adding an SSD to my PS4 and it just doesn't doesn't help anything to any noticeable degree.
that is right, on the PS4 there isn't much of an upgrade. here's digital foundry testing it.
the ps4 pro does improve slightly but just slightly. digital foundry testing again.

that said, i do run my ps4pro with a 2tb sata ssd i got when the price dropped.

Reactions: Samir

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
that is right, on the PS4 there isn't much of an upgrade. here's digital foundry testing it.
the ps4 pro does improve slightly but just slightly. digital foundry testing again.

that said, i do run my ps4pro with a 2tb sata ssd i got when the price dropped.
While the load in performance wasn’t a huge jump on mine, I did notice a fair bit less pop-in while playing once I swapped out the original drive, and it was nice to be able to download things at the same time as playing games

I had my PS4 Pro in a cabinet and had wired up temperature controlled fans to try avoid heat death. I was still trying to figure out the best pattern of fan speed, time and trigger temps so I was logging it all and noticed that with the SSD it took several minutes less to reach the fan off temp each time than with the hard drive. Way I figure it, the air around the hard drive wasn’t getting much flow and there was no heat pipes trying to take it away, so with the ssd not heating it up as much, there was less warm air to clear before the bottom part of the case I was measuring would cool.
Wasn’t much in the scheme of things, adding a airguide made a way bigger difference, but still interesting

Also sad I didn’t see this thread earlier, I’d have loved a few of those!

Reactions: Samir