Mellanox CX311A-XCAT - write counter to semaphore: Operation not permitted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reefland

Mar 13, 2022
I have several Mellanox CX311A-XCAT, they all seem to be functional. However, in poking around at them trying to see what Firmware they have and if I should update it, I get some unusual results and I'm not sure what it's telling me.

Using Ubuntu 20.04.4:
Code:
$ lspci |grep -i Mellanox
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

$ sudo mstconfig -d 0a:00.0
query Fails: E- Failed to open the device

$ sudo mstflint -d 0a:00.0 q
write counter to semaphore: Operation not permitted
-E- Cannot open Device: 0a:00.0. No such file or directory. MFE_CR_ERROR
Google has not been my friend. So many links to Mellanox do not work with the redirection to Nvidia.

I've seen hints that current tools do not support these older cards, should be be looking for older versions of these tools?

necr

Dec 27, 2017
can you try:

sudo mstflint -d mlx4_0 q
sudo ibstat

Which verrsion of mstflint do you have? What's the OS?

reefland

Mar 13, 2022
@necr Thanks for the reply. Running msflint 4.13.3 on Ubuntu 20.04

Code:
$ sudo mstflint -d mlx4_0 q
-E- Cannot open Device: mlx4_0. No such file or directory. MFE_CR_ERROR
Code:
$ sudo ibstat
CA 'mlx4_0'
        CA type: MT4099
        Number of ports: 1
        Firmware version: 2.42.5000
        Hardware version: 1
        Node GUID: [redacted]
        System image GUID: [redacted]
        Port 1:
                State: Active
                Physical state: LinkUp
                Rate: 10
                Base lid: 0
                LMC: 0
                SM lid: 0
                Capability mask: 0x00010000
                Port GUID: [redacted]
                Link layer: Ethernet
Thoughts?

necr

Dec 27, 2017
2.42.5000 is the latest version, and you have 10G link. You're all set, enjoy your NIC and try some RDMA goodness if you wish.

reefland

Mar 13, 2022
Good to know firmware version is up-to-date!

I'm still concerned that the mstflint tool is unable to work with the device, it's not clear if this is expected or not (unsupported card, etc.)

The reason I started looking at Firmware was a due to not getting link light without reinserting transceiver (STH thread). Was hoping a newer firmware would fix. I'll keep digging.

Thank again.

necr

Dec 27, 2017
You can try to clear flash semaphore (whatever that means), force flash new firmware, set jumper to get into recovery mode if it's not working. Back up old FW beforehand. Still, if the core functionality is there, I wouldn't waste time unless you want to know all the knobs and details about CX cards.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have several Mellanox CX311A-XCAT, they all seem to be functional. However, in poking around at them trying to see what Firmware they have and if I should update it, I get some unusual results and I'm not sure what it's telling me.

Using Ubuntu 20.04.4:
Code:
$ lspci |grep -i Mellanox
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

$ sudo mstconfig -d 0a:00.0
query Fails: E- Failed to open the device

$ sudo mstflint -d 0a:00.0 q
-E- Cannot open Device: 0a:00.0. No such file or directory. MFE_CR_ERROR
Google has not been my friend. So many links to Mellanox do not work with the redirection to Nvidia.

I've seen hints that current tools do not support these older cards, should be be looking for older versions of these tools?
have you tried using mellanox's official tools instead of their open source mstflint version? eg: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...net-dual-port-qsfp-adapter.20525/#post-198015

Reactions: reefland

plunko

May 6, 2024
For the sake of people who may find this thread on Google, this is the error you'll see if you have secure boot enabled and the kernel is in lockdown mode. If you look in dmesg you should see some complaints from the kernel refusing access. Temporarily booting with secure boot disabled should allow you to use mstflint/mstconfig as expected.