Mellanox ConnectX3-Pro, & DS1821+! Is it worth - doing any firmware upgrades! Width x4 (downgraded)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Seeking an opinion from anyone that has the above setup, or anyones' thought on the bandwidth downgrade to 4 channels as opposed to the 8.

I've installed a ConnectX3-Pro MCX312B-XCCT - dual sfp+ card into the DS1821+, and it worked straight out of the box. Connected at 10Gb with both ports to the switch, and running iperf3 - confirmed 11.0 GBytes 9.43 Gbits/sec at each port. Running a Disk Speed test - gave a result of 921MB/s read, and approx. 700MB/s write. Looks all good.

But, after ssh'ing to the NAS box, I found that it was only using 4 channels - downgraded channel speed.

LnkCap: Port #8, Speed 8GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s unlimited
ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (ok), Width x4 (downgraded)

The card came loaded with firmware rev. 2.36.5150. I had read on an nvidia support forums, that synology prefers - finicky - on firmwares, and the supported firmware is 2.33.5100.

Should I downgrade the firmware to the 2.33.5100? Would that resolve the channels downgrade? Or is it a dead end? Any thoughts...

Thanks,

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
I need new reading glasses....I had checked the manuals, and skimmed over the actual hardware spec.....hahahaha - many thanks buddy :)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
In general I would say that newer firmware is better than older ones.
But like @pimposh pointed out it's not the card (or it's firmware) :D

Reactions: tigo

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Yup, extremely happy with the card - it cost a fraction (a sixth) of the cost of the Synology one here in Oz. I did go ahead with upgrading the firmware to the latest revision - (it fixes a bunch of bugs) - and it'll be long while before I bother with opening the box again to muck about with it...- It's running smoothly....- happy with the purchase! Now next shop is for some new HDDs when on sale....

Reactions: i386