Mellanox Connectx-3 pro 40gbe vs connectx-4 LX 25 gbe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
For switches, it becomes a little less flexible. Managed Switches in the SX60XX line (even model numbers) are inherently VPI and support both IB and ethernet
SX6012/SX6018/SX6036 are the popular models, they do not have ethernet by default.
The gateway license needs to be added for ethernet to be available.

Since the 6018/6036 are typicaly under 100$ enabling ethernet on them in a fairly common question.
Even the ebay listing offering guidance on how to do it has 90 sales from people not willing to read up themself.

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Obviously you don't have the actual hardware. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. But for someone without the switch you are relatively well-read on the subject. Although there are a few things you misunderstood and/or made up yourself:

the rebrands introduce licensing issues
Mellanox firmware itself hasn't required a separate license for ages
flashing a switch from rebrand to MLNX-OS is "here be dragons" territory
you want to reflash an EMC SX60XX switch to stock MLNX-OS, you can only easily and publicly find the firmware images under the Lenovo OEM archives

Reactions: UhClem

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Read the page you linked replacing "56GbE License" with "40GbE to 56GbE speed upgrade License". The speed upgrade license is applicable (and free) for all switches already licensed for ethernet (i.e. ethernet only or VPI with gateway license already enabled).

upalachango

May 28, 2023
Read the page you linked replacing "56GbE License" with "40GbE to 56GbE speed upgrade License". The speed upgrade license is applicable (and free) for all switches already licensed for ethernet (i.e. ethernet only or VPI with gateway license already enabled).
That's exactly what I've been saying from the start...

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
That's exactly what I've been saying from the start...
I suppose the confusion (atleast to me) is how you put it?
For switches, it becomes a little less flexible. Managed Switches in the SX60XX line (even model numbers) are inherently VPI and support both IB and ethernet (it's one of their major marketing points). The separate license is needed for the extra 56gb speeds (I think specifically for ethernet, but possibly IB) but that's a moot point as Mellanox made the license free and set 56gb as the default speed like a decade ago.
- SX60xx even numbers, IB only out of the box
- Ethernet requires gateway license, still is required.
- Enabling 56gbe used to be an additional license again, that license is removed and freely available now

Atleast how i read it you are under the impression that both licensed got removed or that ethernet is available from start on them.
And neither are true.

Reactions: upalachango

upalachango

May 28, 2023
I suppose the confusion (atleast to me) is how you put it?

- SX60xx even numbers, IB only out of the box
- Ethernet requires gateway license, still is required.
- Enabling 56gbe used to be an additional license again, that license is removed and freely available now

Atleast how i read it you are under the impression that both licensed got removed or that ethernet is available from start on them.
And neither are true.
Ah, yeah I garbled that since I was focusing on NICs per OP's original question. I forgot only the 6036 *G* had the VPI out of the box in contrast to how their VPI marketed NICs are mode switchable. Their marketing about VPI vs Gateway makes it seem like pure eth with a mode switch was possible out of box and specifically just the IB/Eth bridging features needed the gateway license. Otherwise, why market the same as the NICs and why aren't people looking at the SX1xxx models if they want just an eth network? The SX10xx are essentially the exact same box just configured for eth only (but also upgradeable to IB/VPI).

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
and why aren't people looking at the SX1xxx models if they want just an eth network? The SX10xx are essentially the exact same box just configured for eth only (but also upgradeable to IB/VPI).
id expect it purely to come down to pricing.

I paid 50-100$ area for each of the sx6036 switches i got, the ethernet enabled skus/models has been 700-1200$ area when ive looked (maybe better selection if not needing shipping to Europe).
The 200-300$ ethernet enabled from other brands tend to be 2-4x the consumption.

So the dirt cheap pure IB like sx6036 and then enable ethernet tends to be the popular route.

Reactions: upalachango