Malware Bytes flagging on some part of the STH site

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Anyone else use Malware Bytes Premium and getting pop-ups from it about stay.decentralappps.com (triple p in there) when they pull up STH or the page auto-refreshes?

Malware Bytes is pointing to an IP address that looks to be in the Ukraine.

I do use Ghostery to help my security and privacy as well.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
I don't use MalwareBytes, but I can confirm in the last 6 months, I do see some traffic to that host from my main workstation and laptop between 9-Sep and 15-Sep. (The ones on the 19th were intentional) Data volume is not large.

It's situations like this where I think maybe I should use a TLS inspection proxy.

1695177953739.png

Reactions: Patrick

ghost792

Jun 19, 2023
I’ve encountered some malicious redirects from the main page this week. I’m not sure if they trigger when I click on a site element or if they are drive bys.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
As foretold in https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...cts-all-amd-zen-cpus-yikes.41067/#post-388344 that this would happen (again).

Another item to consider is that STH may be a worthwile target for a watering hole style attack. Because the student serving a petabyte out of this dorm room and the defense contractor employee with access to sensitive information share one thing, they visit STH. Today it was a hijacked ad service redirecting into Ukraine, tomorrow it will be a Chromium zero-click zero-day sandbox exploit that someone bought for 100k. If you look, there is a serious RCE CVE every couple of weeks for Chromium. This is the next MOVEit and SolarWinds in the making.

If you can, don't use Windows, or the "evil triplet" Windows plus Office plus Active Directory, keep browser current, keep OS current to hinder privilege escalation, use uMatrix to limit javascript execution, block ads (yes, I know about the ramifications for site operator), audit your network traffic every week, do not use or auto-update any browser extensions. And when you're done with that, plug any holes in your email system. If I can send you a zipped ISO file or Office document with macros as an attachment, something is wrong.