Mac OSX inside OmniOS (Solaris)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Derf

May 31, 2013
Saw this on OmniOS's site
Key technologies in OmniOS deliver significant business advantage.

Lightweight virtualization: zones provide a combination of system resource controls and the boundary separation provided by zones.
Hardware virtualization: KVM provides full hardware virtualization for running safe and isolated guests such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and many others.
Trying to understand KVM, and OmniOS capabilities... Can I run virtual machines (in "Zones?") in OmniOS?

In Wikipedia I found this under KVM
A modified version of QEMU can use KVM to run Mac OS X.[8]
Is it therefore possible to run OsX under OmniOS?

More importantly, is it possible to run OSX under OmniOS on an HP micro server? Or does the micro server not support KVM?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Saw this on OmniOS's site

Trying to understand KVM, and OmniOS capabilities... Can I run virtual machines (in "Zones?") in OmniOS?
In Wikipedia I found this under KVM

Is it therefore possible to run OsX under OmniOS?
More importantly, is it possible to run OSX under OmniOS on an HP micro server? Or does the micro server not support KVM?
1. zones are lightweight Solaris sessions.
You cannot run another OS in zones

2. KVM allows other systems.
But Joyent (they developped KVM for Illumos) support only Intel CPUs
But there is a community project to add AMD support (never tried KVM)

I would possibly look at ESXi. They offer official support for OSX (at least when running on a Mac).
With ESXi and pass-through, you can virtualize a Solaris storage nearly without a performance loss -
but only if your hardware supports pass-through of disks and controllers (current microserver does not, i suppose next 8gen model can do)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Check out VMware Unlocker for OS X – I have not used it my self yet, but it should work with ESXi. Please report back if you use it. :)
Afaik the enabler works perfectly on ESXi. You just need to activate ssh and shell access within ESXi, copy the files to a folder via winscp, switch to that folder via putty and start the unlocker script. Then connect your DVD with the Apple.dmg installer file and boot OSX. OSX is fully supported on ESXi (on Macs) including vmware tools.

But this is not allowed (in some countries) unless you have a Mac labelled computer (a old G5 Macpro with a SuperMicro Board ??) There are also legal restrictions depending on OSX release.

Last edited:

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Nice find on that VMware Unlocker nle. I've been looking to do that for years!