LSI 9260-8i MSM backplane drive locate compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
Hi guys,

I recently picked up an Intel RES2SV240 and a Logic case SC-4324s (Basically a Norco 4224 I think) to replace my existing desktop chassis with for my home server.

Everything works a treat. I have the LSI 9260-8i hooked up directly to one of the backplanes for direct connection to 4 drives, and then the second port connects to the Intel expander, which in turn connects to the remaining backplanes.

Basically my issue is that when using the Mega Raid Storage Manager to try and locate a disk (Blink the LED so I know which disk to pull), nothing changes with the LEDs, which makes it difficult to tell which disk I need to remove.

The blue LED (I assume indicating power for the bay, as opposed to disk status) is on solid, and a green LED flashes for each bay when there is disk activity. I suspect the issue is with the backplanes, as I can't even locate one of the 4 disks attached directly to the controller.

Has anyone ever used this case, or had any similar trouble with the Norco equivalent in this regard? If I were to provide backplane models, would that help at all in diagnosing?

Thanks for any advice people may have.

Eds

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Basically my issue is that when using the Mega Raid Storage Manager to try and locate a disk (Blink the LED so I know which disk to pull), nothing changes with the LEDs, which makes it difficult to tell which disk I need to remove.
You need a cable with SGPIO support (either a SFF/SFF cable or a breakout cable with a separate SGPIO connector) and a backplane that also supports SGPIO. None of the few pictures I've been able to find of a Norco backplane show the necessary components. Here is a picture I found showing the missing components:

The current Norco 4224 product info page says "LED indicators for power and activity on each HDD tray" (no mention of locate / fault LEDs), so I think you're out of luck.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
You need a cable with SGPIO support (either a SFF/SFF cable or a breakout cable with a separate SGPIO connector) and a backplane that also supports SGPIO.
Thanks for that, that's a shame.

So SGPIO is not the same as sideband, and is a completely separate connection to the SFF 8087?

Eds

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
So SGPIO is not the same as sideband, and is a completely separate connection to the SFF 8087?
SGPIO is sideband when it is carried on a SFF-something/SFF-something cable, as long as that cable has the sideband pins connected (it is optional). On a SFF-something to breakout cable, in addition to the 4 drive cables, there will be another cable if it brings the sideband out to a SGPIO connector.

There are at least 3 standards for backplane signalling: SGPIO, I²C, and EPCT. That's from most to least common.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
That all makes sense.

I am using cables that I know have sideband, but the ones connecting the backplane directly to the controller, and the expander to the controller, came with the expander.
Perhaps neither of those have sideband, and hence means there is no sideband connection between the controller and anything else.

I will move some cables around for testing and see what happens.

Eds