Low Power iSCSI Target Server hardware recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
I'm looking to build out an iSCSI Target server to serve up some tape drives, and maybe more in the future.

I don't need a lot, but my requirements are ~$200, 10G nic (preferrably more), external SAS ports of some sort, 1U form factor, and as low power as possible.

I've got both 10G nics and external SAS cards handy.

I've found 4 contenders so far.

Dell R620
IBM x3250 M4
HP DL320e G8
Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF (the firewall unit with 6x 10Gbe nics).

My concerns with the Dell are potential power consumption (I've seen ~50W idle reported and that's in line with my power budget).

My concerns with the HP are power consumption, firmware paywalling, and potential hardware whitelisting.

My concerns with the IBM is potential hardware whitelisting (Idle Power is 38W per the spec sheet here: Lenovo System x Documentation).

My concerns with the Supermicro are potential power consumption (I've seen ~50W idle reported and that's in line with my power budget).

Can anyone speak to the power consumption/whitelist concerns on the HP and IBM? If you have any other alternatives that might fit the bill, could you speak to them as well?

Last edited: