Low Power FileServer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pivot

Apr 18, 2016
Australia
Build’s Name: FileServer
Operating System/ Storage Platform: EXPenolgy DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2
CPU: Intel® Quad-Core Processor J3160 (up to 2.24 GHz)
Motherboard: ASRock J3160B-ITX
Chassis: UNAS NCS-400
Drives: 2 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 1
RAM: G.Skill 8G(2x4G) DR3L-1600 (PC3L-12800) 1.35V SODIMM F3-1600C9D-8GRSL
Add-in Cards: Nil
Power Supply: 250W 1U Flex super quiet PS
Other Bits: 8GB USB2 for boot

Primary use is a low power file server. I have installed the following packages: Antivirus Essential, Cloud Sync, Download Station and Plex Media Server. I have the option of adding another 2 x 3.5" drives by either adding a SATA card or a new motherboard with more SATA ports. After the initial set up this machine spends most of the time idle. I have set the drives to spin down after 20 mins of no activity.

This is nothing like some of the set ups show cased here, but it does what I need it to whilst using little power.

Picture - Ram Usage

Reactions: Patrick

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Build’s Name: FileServer
Operating System/ Storage Platform: EXPenolgy DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2
CPU: Intel® Quad-Core Processor J3160 (up to 2.24 GHz)
Motherboard: ASRock J3160B-ITX
Chassis: UNAS NCS-400
Drives: 2 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 1
RAM: G.Skill 8G(2x4G) DR3L-1600 (PC3L-12800) 1.35V SODIMM F3-1600C9D-8GRSL
Add-in Cards: Nil
Power Supply: 250W 1U Flex super quiet PS
Other Bits: 8GB USB2 for boot

Primary use is a low power file server. I have installed the following packages: Antivirus Essential, Cloud Sync, Download Station and Plex Media Server. I have the option of adding another 2 x 3.5" drives by either adding a SATA card or a new motherboard with more SATA ports. After the initial set up this machine spends most of the time idle. I have set the drives to spin down after 20 mins of no activity.

This is nothing like some of the set ups show cased here, but it does what I need it to whilst using little power.

Picture - Ram Usage
Congrats on your new fileserver :) We need some pics of the build and what's the actual power draw?

pivot

Apr 18, 2016
Australia
Minor update. I have put in a different motherboard and RAM. I bought the following from the forums:

1x SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SAi-2750F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333

2x Kingston 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model KVR16LSE11/8KF.

After nearly a month, both items arrived. I installed the hardware and then went on to install EXPenology. I modified the .cfg file with a new serial number and MAC address for the LAN1. Everything went fine. I updated to DSM 6 and then things fell apart. First time logging into DSM 6 and the system froze and I turned off the power. I then went to restart - nothing. Anyway, I thought I had bricked the motherboard somehow when I changed the MAC address and installed DSM 6. I tried many things, but the system would not start up. I took it apart and then bought the motherboard and RAM listed in the OP.

Moving along. After a month went by, I had another go at getting the Supermicro going. Again, would not power on. I could see that there was a BMC heartbeat and thought I would give IPMI a go. Downloaded the IPMI viewer, installed it, then hooked it up to my network. To my suprise I could turn the system on from the IPMI viewer. So I put in 3x3TB WD Reds and a single 500GB drive. Connected a monitor to see what was happening and I could install EXPenolgy 5.2. This lead me to read the manual again. For some reason the power button on the case would not power on the system. I looked at the front panel connections in the manual and using a bright torch looked at the board to make sure I had everything right. I went back and forth from the manual to the board about 3 times. A simple fix. I was connecting the power switch to the wrong pins on the front panel connections. So, now everything works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

pivot

Apr 18, 2016
Australia
This is why I recommend IPMI
This is my first time using would I would call "proper" server parts. I have had a few iterations of "fileservers" using normal off the shelve consumer parts. Server grade gear seems hard to come by in Australia, or I am just not looking in the right place. It is also expensive for some reason. I have been looking at Ebay and the majority of sales from the US don't post international. This is most likey due the high cost of postage. I can use a freight forwarding company to get gear from the US and there is also the postage delay.

Anyway, I have been lurking in the forums for some time, mainly in this section and also the for sale section. I thought I would take a chance and ask in the FS forum about posting to AUS. I had a win.

Last edited: