Looking for a QSFP 40G Layer 3 switch, without license problems.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
Hi,
Im upgrading my home lab to let my servers talk to each other over 40Gb DAC links.

Im looking for a Layer 3 capable QSFP switch (yes i know its overkill) and I have found three contestants.

1: Juniper QFX5100 It seems capable of L3 routing and it looks like they support alot out of the box without licensing. but theyre hard to come by under a grand.

2: Dell S6000 32p 40GbE Does this one require a license for features or does it work out of the box?

3: Cisco Nexus N3K-C3132-40GE 32p They just what im looking for, integrating 4x SFP+ ports. But they require licensing for L3 routing. Is there any firmware or info on here to 'crack' or apply a faux license to unlock the features of this hardware If I already own it?

I understand that if im looking for a 40gbe switch and I see them for "good deals" theyre probably too good to be true if under 1,500$.

My question is, Do we have the ability to spoof licenses/firmware on these older switches? If not, should I build a seperate server with 5x Dual 40GbE NIC's and run PFSense on it to do my routing? Anyone have experience in this area?

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
There are threads on Arista and Brocade models on this very forum that would likely be better options.

Be careful of treading into piracy. That’s not tolerated here.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
Its not pirating. I paid for the hardware.

Im not a multi million dollar corporation that can pay exorbitant prices for software unlocks, im a college student with a home lab learning this stuff.

So pardon me while I actually get things done.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
Its not pirating. I paid for the hardware.
Oh, sweet child.

No, you did not buy the right to access or discuss how to bypass legal vendor licensing requirements openly on this forum.

As I said, if you need secret internet files for Arista or Brocade, there are threads with helpful hints.

Good luck with the other vendors.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Oh, sweet child.

No, you did not buy the right to access or discuss how to bypass legal vendor licensing requirements openly on this forum.

As I said, if you need secret internet files for Arista or Brocade, there are threads with helpful hints.

Good luck with the other vendors.
Dear @filedotzip , In addition to what @bitbckt helpfully said, I'd drop one last hint if you search networking subforum by most replies threads - you could find the info which should be helpful to you.