Lets talk about Fibre...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Ok, I am looking at putting together an iSCSI setup with two ESXi servers utilizing the storage. On trawling through ebay and the like I have come across numerous FC cards for 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB but would like to know more about connectivity, topology and possibilities ;).

So with the hope of providing a one stop shop for fibre networking for people like us, here are a few questions....

Can like adaptors be connected directly to each other (i.e. no switch).
Can any brand SPF+ be used in any brand and speed HBA or do you have to use only 10GbE SPF+ in 10GbE adaptors.
Are SPF+ compatible with or the same as SPF (i.e. as listed on ebay)

Having been stung a number of times on server knowledge gathering experiences I would rather avoid future costly mistakes.

Ultimately I would like 4Gbe (min) to two separate ESXi servers from a single storage server.

Would a HP QLogic QLE-2462 in the server with one port each connected to a EMULEX LIGHTPULSE LPE1150-E in each server work ?.

A list of known good combinations and cards to stay away from would help myself and others greatly.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Links for reference...

VMware have a decent primer on Fibre Channel for SAN in their vSphere 5.1 documentation on Storage here.

EMC guide on Fibre SAN topology here.

Small Net Builders article on building your own Fibre Channel box with second user parts here.

RB

Last edited: