Lenovo Tiny ThinkCentre M710q for ESXi 7?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Witzker

Jan 5, 2022
Hi, will ESXi 7 work well on a

Lenovo Tiny ThinkCentre M710q

Intel Pentium G4560
HDD 256 SSD m2 + additional 500 GB HDD
16Gb DDR4

I noticed that the chipset does not support vPro!?
Is it mandatory to run ESXi7

Last edited:

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Should be fine. vPro isn't needed to run ESXi. You might be a bit short of RAM (ESXi itself consumes ~1.5GB) so you won't have a huge amount left over for VMs.

If your objective is to learn about virtualisation, you may be better off with Proxmox for now which is lighter and gives you a GUI. If you need to learn ESXi then it will work, it'll just be a bit cramped.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
THX
I've been locking at the VM Compatibility Guide of VM ware here:
VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

but I'm unable to figure out if also processor, etc. is OK
What do you think?
None of the five systems I run ESXi on are on the compatibility list but all are fine. The hardware list typically only contains "enterprise" devices (Xeon CPUs, enterprise flash drives, etc) and not consumer. The only thing really to pay attention to is whether your network port and your m.2 SSD will work (is it an SSD or NVME?). On the network side your NIC should be fine because my M7/920q machines work fine and the M710q uses the same setup. For your m.2 SSD I suggest you Google its family name (eg Samsung 980 Pro) + ESXi and see what you get back, you should be able to get a general idea if it'll be OK or not.