Just scored a eBay mystery deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Bought a Supermicro SC836 barebones chassis listed as "Untested due to incompatible PSU". From the pics it did indeed look "barebones". It did not even include the HD caddies. and the PSU's are 48v which are of no use to me. I already had everything I need to put her together so what was missing was no problem.

And now for the rest of the story. :D

I popped the lid and lo and behold, it held a MB. An SC X8DTH-F with 8gb ram and heat sinks. I removed the heatsinks hoping to find CPU's but alas, it was not to be. Then I noticed 2 SATA cables snaking under the upper rim. One went to a DVD drive and the other I could see but could tell the cables were hooked to something. That something turned out to be a 50gb Micron P-300MTFDDAC050SAL SSD. All this for $170 plus $40 shipping. O, and the chassis has a SAS2 backplane.

I'm happy with the deal. :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It's up and running totally glitch free. I had a couple of X5570's and 48gb of ram laying around doing nothing plus enough HD's to fill half the bays. I replaced the Micron SSD with a 200gb S3500. Also added a Chelsio 10g NIC. Added a Dell H310 flashed with LSI IT firmware. Updated IPMI and the BIOS. And also plugged in a couple of 1280w SQ PSU's. And Win Server 2012 R2 DC. :)