Is it possible to swap out the PSU in a 2U or a 3U SuperMicro Chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Hi all,

I would like to swap out the loud default psu that comes in the supermicro 2u and the 3u chassis, with a corsiar or a seasonic gold aftermarket one.
I have a 4U 24bay supermicro chassis, and i have been able to swap out the loud psu to a regular seasonic gold psu.
I wanted to pick up another 2u or 3u su chassis. Just need to know if i could do it with the 2u or 3U or neither?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I've seen a few mods for 3+ u chassis, but not for 2u ones.

Before you modfy the chassis, try the sq psus (920 or 1280 watt). In my 836b they are quieter than the system fans.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
I've seen a few mods for 3+ u chassis, but not for 2u ones.

Before you modfy the chassis, try the sq psus (920 or 1280 watt). In my 836b they are quieter than the system fans.
Thanks for your replies. What are these sq psus? I am sorry, but i am kinda new around here and not well antiquated with the jargons.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
before we get the cart before the horse, what model are you running right now? If your running the PWS-800R's, they are just annoying.

PWS-920-SQ are the super quiet ones...ie I sleep next the server.
Another cheaper option would be the PWS-1K21P-1R, once fan control kicks in it's pretty quiet...ie can't hear it in the next room.

Also a bit of a round about way, you could look at picking up a cheap 2U with the PSU's you want, then resell it with the PSU's you don't. I did this awhile back and outside of the extra hassle it cost me $20 to get the backplane and PSU's I wanted for a particular chassis.