ipmi don't work on lan1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jean0922

Sep 2, 2022
Hello,

I have a supermicro X10SL7-F card. It has two RJ45 ethernet ports (VLAN0 and VLAN1 LAN0 and LAN1) + one RJ45 port dedicated to IPMI.
I contact you because I don't understand well the parameters of the port choice in the "network" menu of the ipmi administration page.

Indeed, on the administration page of the ipmi, in the tab Configuration > network > LAN Interface, there are 3 options:
_ failover => allows to connect the ipmi on the 0/1 port or on the dedicated port
_ dedicate => connect the ipmi only on the dedicated port
_ share => allow to connect the ipmi only on port 0/1

The options work as expected for the dedicated port and port 0, but when it comes to port 1, where I have no connection to my ipmi page when I'm in "failover" or "share", when it should work.

I specify that port 1 works because the OS accesses the internet via this port.

On the documentation of the motherboard, I did not find any explanation

Do you have any idea?

Sincerely

Last edited:

Jean0922

Sep 2, 2022
Hello,
Yes, me too for the dedicated port, but I didn't understand why it doesn't work on vlan1 while it's noted vlan0/1 in the help on the ipmi admin page.
Why do you mention the NCSI? I don't see the connection.

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
when you tried accessing ipmi on lan1 did you remove the cable from lan0 and power cycle ( not just reboot - you need to reinitislise the bmc )

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I'm also a bit confused about your VLAN setup. VLANs are a distinct issue from NCSI (which handles the sharing of a port for both IPMI and regular LAN traffic). You can, for instance, have IPMI using its dedicated port and also tagged to a VLAN (which would have to be reflected in the port configuration on the switch). I just use access mode (untagged) for IPMI ports and put them on a separate VLAN.

Jean0922

Sep 2, 2022
when you tried accessing ipmi on lan1 did you remove the cable from lan0 and power cycle ( not just reboot - you need to reinitislise the bmc )
hello
Yes, although switching from LAN0 to the dedicated port (and vice versa) is done correctly without turning off the power supply, I tried turning the power supply off and on again when I switched to LAN1, but that doesn't work either.
On the other hand I can't reset the BMC because when I switch to LAN1 I don't have access to the IPMI administration page

Last edited:

Jean0922

Sep 2, 2022
I'm also a bit confused about your VLAN setup. VLANs are a distinct issue from NCSI (which handles the sharing of a port for both IPMI and regular LAN traffic). You can, for instance, have IPMI using its dedicated port and also tagged to a VLAN (which would have to be reflected in the port configuration on the switch). I just use access mode (untagged) for IPMI ports and put them on a separate VLAN.
Sorry, it's a writing error on my part, for the whole post it's LAN, not VLAN. I corrected my first post

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
A full power cycle (unplug PSU from wall, or toggle PSU hardware switch, such that the 5V standby power to the motherboard is removed) is sufficient to reboot the BMC.

Jean0922

Sep 2, 2022
A full power cycle (unplug PSU from wall, or toggle PSU hardware switch, such that the 5V standby power to the motherboard is removed) is sufficient to reboot the BMC.
Yes, I already tested it by completely disconnecting the power supply.