Intel R680e chipset?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Does anyone have any info about the Intel R680e chipset? seems to support 12/13th gen with ECC support, but can't find much more info other than on what's on intel Ark: Compare Products

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's the embedded version of the W680. You're only going to find expensive/hard to acquire industrial motherboards with it, but at least you can get DDR5 motherboards with PCI slots still...

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
It's the embedded version of the W680. You're only going to find expensive/hard to acquire industrial motherboards with it, but at least you can get DDR5 motherboards with PCI slots still...
Embedded, nothing todo with ECC
no optane, no overlocking.
Maybe my definition of embedded is off, but here’s a supermicro board with this board with a LGA1700 socket with ECC support. Open Box: SUPERMICRO MBD-X13SAZ-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Can't tell you why Supermicro decided to use that in place of the W680 on that specific SKU, but if you look up the better known brands for industrial boards, that's what they use, likely because Intel will produce/support it for much longer. Jetway is claiming a lifecycle for R680e boards through 2037!

Some examples of what's more in line with my expectations:

5 serial ports in ITX: https://portwell.com/products/detail.php?CUSTCHAR1=R680EI-IM-A
Photos speak for themselves: MI23 Series :: Intel Q670E R680E 12th / 13th GEN Mini-ITX Industrial Motherboard :: JETWAY COMPUTER CORP.
Those aforementioned PCI slots: IBASE - Industrial Computer Manufacturer in Taiwan, Industrial Motherboard, Panel PC, Embedded System, Digital Signage Player, Video Wall Player, RISC SBC, Network Appliance

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Maybe my definition of embedded is off, but here’s a supermicro board with this board with a LGA1700 socket with ECC support
i never sayd R680E does not support ECC.
i mentioned 'E' is for Embedded, not ECC.
R680E is for the 'E' processors.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
i never sayd R680E does not support ECC.
i mentioned 'E' is for Embedded, not ECC.
R680E is for the 'E' processors.
Apologies for misreading your post. I hadn't heard of E processors til now.

Can't tell you why Supermicro decided to use that in place of the W680 on that specific SKU, but if you look up the better known brands for industrial boards, that's what they use, likely because Intel will produce/support it for much longer. Jetway is claiming a lifecycle for R680e boards through 2037!
I'm tempted to try out this Supermicro board to see what it's like and see if the CPU support list is strict. The only reason I brought up this question is if r680e is basically w680 minus memory overclocking and optane, then it opens up potentially more options for Alder/Raptor lake builds for home labs.

Last edited: