Intel QuickAssist in Ice Lake Servers What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Hm Oregon? So at an Intel facility and basically with Intel-controlled setup? Would have liked instead: Texas. ;-)

Would also have liked a comparison of price/performance when competing against lz4- or zstd-compression. At 43 cores 8393 MB/s is shown for compression level 1. So zlib at 200 MByte/sec per core. Not too shabby, but zstd can do 500-700 MByte/s compressing and a whopping 1700 MB/s decompressing, per core. See the table on hxxs://github.com/facebook/zstd. It stands to reason that decompression speed is the more important metric, because it happens more often - compress once, read many, like in a filesystem. A 6-core CPU will beat the card. Also how about latency: Storage is latency sensitive. How much for pure assembly-optimized CPU code and how much for QAT?

For the crypto test AES128-CBC HMAC-SHA1 was chosen. Is that even secure? Wireguard would like a word. TLS 1.3 got rid of CBC because of all the padding oracle failure modes. Remember POODLE... instead of raw low-security AES tests I would have liked to see a more secure AES mode like GCM.

As for the nginx-test, why let the card shine with legacy RSA-offload. I would have liked to see a head-to-head comparison with TLS 1.3 using ECDSA for authentication, i.e. with ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256GCM as the cipher suite.

Finally, what about security? Side-channels? Who audited this card? Who audits updates? OpenSSL took a million code changes to have really time-invariant RSA or AES. Or how about the DEFLATE implementation... there could be externally supplied (compressed) data, fed into an opaque zlib-implementation by Chipzilla. Same company who brought you Meltdown and CVE-2017-5689. Same company who tells you about latest CPU exploit a year or so later, give or take. If at all.

Long version of me saying: Unless you are a legacy institution that needs to check boxes, don't buy it.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
I’ll second the interest in more detail around compression acceleration. At the day job, the storage engine I work on prefers LZ4 or snappy for various reasons. I’d like to see LZ4, snappy, and zstd, instead of deflate. The latter isn’t particularly relevant to a modern storage engine.

Reactions: Patrick