Intel Core i7-4770 Purchased at Retail

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Managed to scour Amazon and thanks to a 3rd party seller and next day shipping I paid entirely too much for an Intel Core i7-4770 (non-K).

The processor does support Intel vt-d and has integrated Intel 4600 graphics.

More to come shortly!

Benchmarks posted.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Reading the reviews - and especially the comments people make on the reviews - seems people are disappointed with the modest performance gains. But people are missing the main point. Haswell is about power consumption, especially at the idle end. What too many people forget is that most systems spend most of their time in one of the lower-power idle states. While this isn't really a big deal for the desktop it matters A TON for mobile, embedded and even server workloads.

This is the first installment of a new breed. It widens the gap over AMD in very important ways and starts to narrow a more important gap with the upcoming 64-bit ARMs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Been talking with some of the folks that published some of those reviews. General consensus is why would Intel led with the Core i7-4770K. Seems like this is a release that will be exciting for mobile.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
"K's" get the attention of the enthusiast crowd and get the write-ups from the review sites. Its exposure.

At retail they may be leading with the "K", but the big H/W manufacturers in the wholesale channels have had much more interesting Haswell parts in their house for quite a while. I saw some pretty interesting stuff in a server application on a recent visit - unfortunately can't share due to NDA.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
"K's" get the attention of the enthusiast crowd and get the write-ups from the review sites. Its exposure.

At retail they may be leading with the "K", but the big H/W manufacturers in the wholesale channels have had much more interesting Haswell parts in their house for quite a while. I saw some pretty interesting stuff in a server application on a recent visit - unfortunately can't share due to NDA.
Yea we have had quite a few interesting things around here too. Actually, even STH's colo'd servers do very little now CPU wise and mostly just serve requests from RAM.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I think that goes for almost everyone. My Xen box (1245L v2) has 8 VMs running, maxed out my 16gb ram and am not even pushing over 20% CPU...except when sickbeard is unpacking my latest TV show.

I just cant wait for Haswell tablets. The pending haswell release has really been my only hurdle to dropping some $$$ on a Surface Pro. I want the battery life of the Atom variant, but I still want some horsepower...Haswell appears to bring it.