Integrating 4x1GB SAN into 10G network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
So we've converted our back end to 10G. I've got a very servicable MD3220i that I'd love to use. anyone have an idea on how to integrate? just attach all 4 1G ports to the 10G switch with 4 IP's, like normal, and then on the 10G NIC on esxi, just create 4 vmkernel ports?

Would that work?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Any way to get a 10G add-on module/card on that array...ya know, make life easier? Otherwise depending on the array (active/passive), vendor best practices, and IP SAN network topology if keeping legacy 1G on the SAN in the mix you could go two interfaces off of 'hopefully' a pair of redundant switches, other two to the other switch, setup iSCSI port binding on ESXi vSwitch/iSCSI config, enable RR multipathing...BOOM bobs your uncle.

MANY ways to do this, 10G is easiest/sledge hammer (but also most effective) while the 1GbE options could be endless, more info needed but I always aim for resiliency/redundancy/fault tolerance/risk mitigation in my designs but also try to stick to the KISS design principle. Every vendor 'would/should' have a implementation/architecture 'best practices' guide as well. May wanna hunt that baby down and delve into that as well.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
No 10G for this array. This was more a logical question on the ESXi side. Will 4 VMkernels going thru one 10G NIC actually perform like 4x1GB NIC's? This isn't going to be for production. Just raw storage...so I'm hoping to do RR across 4 vmk's with 1 10G nic.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Should work if iSCSI port binding is setup right, that is one vmknic per iSCSI port bind and RR enabled, as long as your backend array can deliver 4Gbps of I/O throughput I don't see any reason the network could not keep dang near in lockstep with it.