Install Proxmox VE 7/8 on QNAP intel x86 4-bay NAS box: Additional notes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Hardware: QNAP intel x86_64 CPU 4-bay NAS box, probably released around year 2016-2018;
Software: Proxmox VE 7 and 8.

All the processes are following the NASCompares.com blog, "The How to Install Proxmox on your QNAP NAS – Step By Step Guide", except of some additional notes.
link: How to Install Proxmox on your QNAP NAS - Step By Step Guide

The additional notes on the above instruction:
(1) Due to the limitation of the QNAP BIOS, not all the SATA slots are able to boot the box;
(2) Only the UEFI partitions on the drives of the P0 and P1 slots in these SATA slots are able to be found by the QNAP BIOS;
(3) The P0 slot is not the 1st one from the left, nor from the right;
(4) The QNAP firmware recoveries for these boxes can be found from this page.

Overall, other knowledge is almost the same as what happens during the installations on Wyse 5070 thin client or regular PCs.

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I installed Proxmox VE on a QNAP TS-253A a few years ago. The linked instructions make it seem a lot harder than it really is. No different than installing any other OS on a x86_64 host. The more difficult part was migrating a Window Guest from TrueNAS to VE, but was successfully able to do it without having to reactivate Windows. ;)

Reactions: newabc

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I installed Proxmox VE on a QNAP TS-253A a few years ago. The linked instructions make it seem a lot harder than it really is. No different than installing any other OS on a x86_64 host. The more difficult part was migrating a Window Guest from TrueNAS to VE, but was successfully able to do it without having to reactivate Windows. ;)
I used 2 and a half afternoons to find out the QNAP bios cannot find all the UEFI partions on all the sata drives, and successfully install the proxmox. Maybe I paid too much time on the things to keep the QNAP OS on the emmc.