Install on mirrored USB flash drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
My NAS build projects are going more slowly than I would like.

I've got several USB 2 headers to dual USB socket adapters. My thinking is that multiple mirrored flash drives for TrueNAS installation is better option than SATA DOMs given I'd prefer to use SATA-3 ports for reasonably quick MLC SSDs.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Should work as long as you make sure to move the „system dataset“ to your ssd pool after you created it. And I’d avoid any swap partition on the usbs.
Make a backup of your configuration on a regular basis, even if the usbs all die grab some new, install base system, import your config, import your pools and call it a day.

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
No. Using USB drives as your boot drive for TrueNAS is no longer recommended or suggested. Sure you could do it as mrpasc noted but add in lots of backups and ways to be ready for when it fails...

Why not just use your SATA ports, use a single SSD as your boot drive and if you need more port, go buy an HBA card?

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I know that USB drives has been deprecated for boot drive for a while but that wasn't always the case. What changed?

My thinking is that boot drives don't need to be fast. USB 2 speeds are good enough. Four way mirror is easily doable.

Also thinking new old USB drives that are MLC - SLC ones have become very expensive.

On reflection, I've various matched enterprise HDDs I could use for mirrored OS drive but they are 3.5" but they would use physical space that could be used for storage density with sufficient cooling.

I've several HBAs and a SAS expander. The SAS expander has external ports. Near-line storage can live in a free 10 x 3.5" PC case.

Certified SATA DOMS are very expensive for hobbyists.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
Prices here in the UK are higher than the US. I've got four S3500 120GB drives. They cost me a bit more here than the price you mention but I think it's a good strategy to use SLC/MLC SSDs.

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
TrueNAS has lots going on with reads and writes these days, it is not about speed, but usage, it can kill USB sticks quickly.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Another vote for USB to SATA adapter to run real drives.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
Yeah, I think USB to SATA adapters are the way to go for me for boot drive. I have one somewhere. They are pretty cheap so buying another isn't a massive cost issue.

Can imagine a scenario with tiny hub plugged into Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF onboard USB 3 port and mirrored SATA boot drives attached to it. It's not as if I don't have plenty of redundant SATA HDDs and SSDs doing nothing useful.