In need of new router recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Grim

Oct 13, 2022
Hey guys im looking for a new router recommendation. Right now im useing the FIOS router with 1 gigabit internet.
Looking to replace it with something wifi 6 compatable and has more ports for wired devices.
I have a decent size apartment the current router have covered most of the hose.
Thank you in advance for any help.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
An all-in-one device is probably not a recommendation you're going to get (except maybe a UniFi Dream Machine non-pro?).

Depending on FIOS (is it a real internet connection? or more like a "you must use our device" type of connection?), you might be able to just put an OpnSense box on it, a switch behind that for all your wired needs, and one or more access points to strategically place for optimal coverage.

Reactions: Jakub

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
An all-in-one device is probably not a recommendation you're going to get (except maybe a UniFi Dream Machine non-pro?).

Depending on FIOS (is it a real internet connection? or more like a "you must use our device" type of connection?), you might be able to just put an OpnSense box on it, a switch behind that for all your wired needs, and one or more access points to strategically place for optimal coverage.
I agree with this. The AliExpress boxes, a managed switch, some $89 EAP610s or an AP of your choosing. Also don't forget the network controller if required.

i personally have 3x Unifi LRs and some of their managed switches, but I would go with Omada if I had to do it again as their stuff is a bit cheaper.