(In light of OS X Mavericks), do Solaris builds provide built-in kernel SMB2 support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madison437

May 3, 2013
In light of OS X Mavericks moving to SMB2 from AFP, I am wondering what the optimal set-up would be for macintosh clients using a Solaris server, moving forward.

Does the in-kernel Solaris SMB/CIFS support also do SMB2?
-- Oracle Solaris 11 builds?
-- Illumos builds?

Are we stuck with in-kernel support only of SMB/CIFS moving forward, or is there active community and/or Oracle development?

Does it make more sense to move to Samba since it already supports SMB2?

Any insights appreciated.

-- madison437

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Currently, only SAMBA supports SMB 2/3.
There are efforts on the Solaris CIFS server but currently, SMBX on OSX is only about half as fast than Windows 7 to Solaris SMB1 and Solaris CIFS is mostly faster than SAMBA. So lets wait if SMB on 10.9 is better - independent from SMB 1/2/3. I expect 10.9 will support SMB1 and AFP as well.

Currently on Macs AFP or iSCSI is fastest, followed by NFS followed by SMB

madison437

May 3, 2013
Currently, only SAMBA supports SMB 2/3.
There are efforts on the Solaris CIFS server but currently, SMBX on OSX is only about half as fast than Windows 7 to Solaris SMB1 and Solaris CIFS is mostly faster than SAMBA. So lets wait if SMB on 10.9 is better - independent from SMB 1/2/3. I expect 10.9 will support SMB1 and AFP as well.

Currently on Macs AFP or iSCSI is fastest, followed by NFS followed by SMB

Thanks, Gea, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I think I will do as you suggest, wait it out. I had just moved from SMB on my server (via Samba SMB1) to netatalk, and have had a much better experience with my macs using netatalk... I think I'll wait a little bit for the dust to settle as you seem to be suggesting.

BTW, where are the Solaris CIFS server efforts taking place? Is this Oracle upstream, and will they ever release the code, or are you talking about developments in the Illumos branch?

Best,

-- madison437

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
BTW, where are the Solaris CIFS server efforts taking place? Is this Oracle upstream, and will they ever release the code, or are you talking about developments in the Illumos branch?
Oracle Solaris is closed source so any Solaris improvements will never appear in Illumos the same way. On the other side Illumos improvements like feature flags and LZ4 are not in Solaris.

Development is done at Oracle on Solaris or Illumos on the free fork with enterprises behind Illumos like Delphix, Joyent, Nexenta or Omniti.

Derf

May 31, 2013
I believe that OS X 10.9 will default to SMB2 when dealing with other OS X 10.9 clients, but will also support AFP for connecting to older < 10.8 clients. I understand that SMB2 is supposed to be faster than SMB1, but I'm not sure how it compares to AFP. Illumos kernel level support for SMB is limited to SMB1 at the moment, and they have said that SMB2 is on the roadmap, just no ETA at the moment.