Importance of hardware being Windows Server Catalog SDDC certified?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cutha

Sep 24, 2016
Canada
Hi,

I'm building a 2 server hyper converged system with server 2022 and all I have left to purchase is the fast tiered SSD's. I was going to buy Intel P4610's for that but they are not listed as SDDC certified for server 2022. I tried this previously using server 2016 but windows didn't like the SSD's I was using and kept disabling the cache on them even though they had PLP (though weren't listed on the HCL).

For a few hundred more I can get S4610's that are certified for 2022 SDDC. Obviously I'd prefer the P4610's but I worry about having a repeat of my past mistakes.

On the Storage Spaces Direct hardware requirements page it says:
"Systems, components, devices, and drivers must be certified for the operating system you’re using in the Windows Server Catalog. In addition, we recommend that servers and network adapters have the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) Standard and/or Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) Premium additional qualifications (AQs), as pictured below. There are over 1,000 components with the SDDC AQs."

Intel P4610's are listed as Certified for Windows Server 2022 but not for SDDC.

Is it safe to assume that the P4610's will function correctly with server 2022 in a tiered setup (cache enabled) or do I need to make sure whatever I'm using is SDDC certified? I noticed that the Window Server Catalog goes so far as to list different drive firmwares that SDDC is certified for and I can't imagine that Windows would disable such things as the drive cache if somebody updated their SSD's but I don't really know.

Thanks for your time :)