IBM Red Hat Puts RHEL Source Behind Paywall

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Re: Broadcom buying Vmware case:
I think killing free ESXi, and maybe even the VMUG program - the impact on the industry would be limited, given the rapid rise in both alternative hypervisors and public clouds. No doubt Broadcom purchase would be a terrible outcome for existing VMWare customers, but higher prices won't become the only negative outcome of possible purchase, there I suspect the main issue would be (which is already fairly low) further stagnation in R&D and new functionality.
If anything I expect both Red Hat and VMWare would become less prevalent/popular partially due to such anti-consumer measures.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Ever heard of that enthusiastic group of volunteers contributing their time, energy and patches to Oracle Linux? Me neither. IBM is on that path.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Ever heard of that enthusiastic group of volunteers contributing their time, energy and patches to Oracle Linux? Me neither. IBM is on that path.
They aren't on the path; they are both feet deep in that forest :) You'd be crazy to contribute to RH/CentOS at this point for free.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
IBM after take over of RHEL did state, they want to compete with Windows.