IBM LTO 5 standalone drive in TS3100 Tape Library?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kekzmobile

Mar 7, 2021
Hello,

i recently got an internal IBM LTO 5 HH drive and planned to use it as a spare for a defective LTO 5 drive in my TS3100 library.
So i put on the drive sled from the defective drive on to the new (formally standalone) LTO 5 drive and put it into the library.
Unfortunately the drive goes offline with error message "HE: drive logged out, Code: FB 01"
I do know that it is quiet a challange to turn a library drive into a standalone version but it seems that the other way around is also difficult.
I managed to flash a new firmware onto the drive but it still keeps being disabled by the library. Also it does not receive a SAS address from the library.

Is there a way to configure the drive for being useable in an autoloader and not standalone anymore?

Greetings

Last edited:

kryten

Apr 10, 2023
you would need to be able to edit the vpd, which isnt easily done. also the dip switch on the bottom of the drive needs changing.