I thought Oppo was supposed to be a better brand

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Years ago I put 3 DVD players in storage because I rarely used them. All 3 worked when they were parked on the top shelf of the hallway closet. I just pulled them down to play some newly aquired CD's. 2 of the 3 were Oppo's and neither one worked. One lit up the power button and the eject button but no display at all and it did not respond to any buttons. The second one was similar but displayed open when the eject button was pressed and then poceeded to do nothing. The 3rd was a Samsung DVD player from 2010 or so. It works flawlessly.

Nowadays Oppo is some pretty expensive stuff. I won't be buying any.

And btw, I'm listening to "The Real Doris Day" 3 CD collection. She was truly a superstar. She did it all and did it better than anyone else in Hollywood in her day.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FWIW my Oppo Blu Ray, which was a very high end device died too and didn't last, I want to say maybe 3 years?
Absolutely TERRIBLE for a $500 or so BluRay player.

I've actually yet to have any other DVD or BluRay palyer EVER die.

When I went to contact Oppo when mine died I thought they went out of business... did someone buy their brand and bring it back?

Paying 300-500$ for a modded 4K + Blu + DVD player pains me to this day but I need to be able to play international movies so I pay that premium for the modded version so I can swap regions... unlike when I had my oppo no longer care about playing various disc types\audio etc on it so that makes my life a little easier now :D

Looks like mine was a BDP-83 purchased in 2009.

What model was yours that died?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
DV-981HD and DV-970HD. Neither is a BluRay. The Samsung isn't either.

I have a LG BlueRay player that's not 4K. I would buy a 4K player today if I could find one with decent reviews. Seems like they all suck. Threads over at the AVR forum are full of sad tales. I want a 4k player but not the grief that seems to come along with it. :(

Also like to add that when I got the LG it wouldn't play some disks. I went looking for, and found, an updated firmware and it fixed the problem. I was impressed.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
LG UBK90 mod by 220 electronics is what I have.

I’m not sure what issues you speak of. I didn’t own a 4K player or TV until this year and now have almost 300 movies on disc. Not sharing to brag but perspective- I watch a lot of movies. I buy from USA and EU studios and have had 0 issues. 4K is region unlocked but Blus are still not. If you don’t need in locked then don’t buy the modded one and save money. I’ve had maybe two discs stuffer or freeze and I need to forward to continue - I think it’s the discs though. They looked very cheap / thing layer compared to the others.

I’m not a collector per-se but I do like the physical copies of movies and utilize CD Wallet or id be out of room and so far with blus usa and foreign and 4K this player has worked great.
I’ll upgrade it when a better one (quality/upscaling) is available. There may be one or two Sony that are better I haven’t kept up.

Reactions: i386

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
As I understand it, the only way to get theater quality sound is with a BluRay disk. No streaming service offers anything but garbage compressed sound. This is a main reason I want a 4K player.