HP T740 Thin PC / Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT / No Link Light

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reefland

Mar 13, 2022
I have an odd issue, need suggestions on troubleshooting. This happens on EVERY boot - cold or warm boot.
  • PC: HP T740 Thin PC
  • Card: Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT CX311A ConnectX-3
  • Transceivers:
    • Both sides: H!Fiber Multimode SFP+ LC 10GBase-SR (stated Miktotik compatible)
    • I picked these because of lower power draw (1.05w), runs a bit cooler than others I've used.
  • Fiber: LC to LC OM3 (10m)
  • Switch: Miktotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN Cloud Router Switch (using SwitchOS)
Issue: I cannot get a link lights on the switch / NIC card without manual intervention.

Workaround: I have to disconnect the fiber on the switch side (easier to access) and then remove the Transceiver. Reattach the fiber and then reinsert into the switch. Instantly I get a link light, Nic is active and DHCP magic happens. The card works great... until I reboot or power off. And I'm getting tired of it.

Observations:
  • The process only works when the Transceiver is removed, just reinserting the fiber does not work.
  • It does not seem to be a switch issue as:
    • Miktotik SwOS reports the Transceiver in SFP tab.
    • Shows Temp, Voltage, Tx Power -1.59dBM, howerver the Rx Power had nothing or a very large number
    • Once Transceiver is reinserted and link light are on Tx Power is -1.59dBm, Rx Power is -2.217dBm
  • Might point to PC side issue. But I don't understand why reinserting the Transceiver on the switch side wakes up the PC side.