HP P420 Raid controller in a non HP server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
Does anyone have any experience running a HP P420 raid controller in a non HP server?

I wanted to pick one up and use it on a SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F motherboard. I know with the HP P410s you have to turn off the OptionROM for the PCIe slot in order for the adapter to work. So I was wondering if the same would work for the P420.

Any ideas?

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
I only have experience with the P400, but I can tell you that I needed to be careful with the RAID card firmware revisions, as after a certain point, it was VERY picky about what MB it could be recognized in.

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
Decided to go with a LSI 9271-8i instead of the HP P420. Didn't want to spend $300+ on it and have it not work.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I only have experience with the P400, but I can tell you that I needed to be careful with the RAID card firmware revisions, as after a certain point, it was VERY picky about what MB it could be recognized in.
I have had fun getting HP SA cards to work in non-HP servers... it is really hit or miss how much effort it will take. Sometimes non, sometimes an hour of trying different bios settings.
That said... for its price the p420 punishes the LSI card, and the P430 is twice as fast.

markusro

Dec 7, 2017
For the record, I own one and I managed to get the server booting by disabling the Third Party Boot ROM in the Motherboard BIOS.
(Supermicro X7DB8)