HP Microserver Gen 10 Plus Raid help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shuttleu

Nov 27, 2023
Hi,

I always used to use Home Server Show whenever I had issues, but that site seems to have gone unfortunately.

I've just upgraded from a Microserver Gen 8 to a Gen 10 Plus and was hoping I could take my P420 across and save the cost of a new raid card.
Putting the server in legacy boot comes up with the P420 initialisation for a couple minutes, then it fails and refuses to boot. I also dont appear to have any way of booting into the raid configuration utility to see what's happening.

My question is, is there any way of making the P420 work with the Gen 10 Plus and have the ability to configure the raid, or am I going to have to upgrade to a newer raid card, such as the E208i-p or p408i-p.

If I do have to upgrade, will it be a simple in place upgrade, or am I going to have to recreate the array and restore all the data?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Eh, when dealing with the new "f-you-pay-me" HPe? Just assume that if you didn't pay for the entitlements, it won't work, or it's feature locked behind a BIOS whitelist or a paywall. My guess is that you'll need to get a new RAID card and it'll not be an easy drop-in. You'll probably need to recreate and restore.

Shuttleu

Nov 27, 2023
Sorry, forgot to update.

I managed to get it working by putting the server into legacy mode. It shows the P420 initializing, but doesn't give the options to manage the arrays, however it does boot from the boot volume.
Once booted into a OS, I can use SSACLI to manage the arrays.

So all in all, mostly working, it just means when an array fails, I'll have to swap the disk, boot into a live distro, install SSACLI and start the rebuild, then I can boot from the array again.