HP Elite Mini 800 G9 Review The Top Generational HP Project TinyMiniMicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Wow. The entire HP Support methodology seems broken these days. I had a similar issue buying a surplus unit off eBay from a known recycler that had a dead SSD with 32 months warranty remaining. HP questioned the warranty and mentioned "unless bought from us or an authorized reseller the warranty can be void". Essentially told me second-hand units can be worthless warranty-wise. What made it more shocking is I requested the SSD replacement ticket via my work email - and we are a LARGE HP partner for resale and internal use. Sad, but unless that 10GbE module really blows me away, I feel like I am better off buying Lenovo or Dell gear for my lab from now on.

Reactions: Patrick

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
The Lenovo m90q is still a much better TMM box in my opinion.

It takes 64gb memory, 2 x nvme, 1 x sata, and can fit a 160mm long PCIe card.
You can also find them for under $300 on Ebay if you are patient :cool:

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013

I'll challenge the EliteDesk Mini and similar can be compelling as well, which is why HP's customer service makes me so upset to like these little boxes so much. The G6 model I have currently has a Google Coral TPU, two M.2 NVMe disks, plus a SATA caddy in a 1L box. I just ordered one of the 10GbE adapters which I will test in my G6 and my Z2 Mini G5 - if so I have gotten the "holy trinity" of TMM without any 3D printing, modifying, etc.

Granted, I still love the Lenovo Tiny line for the PCIe for other uses, but for a clustered lab nothing can beat such an "out of the box" experience like the HP at that point.

Zepticon

May 15, 2023
Im having a hard time choosing between the TMM 1L boxes vs the «NUC» style boxes from china. Looking at an AMD system.

any reason to not go eith the likes of Beelink GTR6 /SER6 vs lenovo/dell/hp?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Im having a hard time choosing between the TMM 1L boxes vs the «NUC» style boxes from china. Looking at an AMD system.

any reason to not go eith the likes of Beelink GTR6 /SER6 vs lenovo/dell/hp?
Price, and expandability would be the major differences

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Today's price on Ebay ( if you are watching )
TMM I5-8500t about $80-$$100
TMM i5-10500t about $200 , brought 3 x Dell 5090 I5-10500t @$200 each

March 2021 , I spent $200 on a Dell 7070 mini with I5-8500t
2 years later , upgraded to a Dell 5090 mini with 15-10500t , same price , $200
waiting for next 2 years , then upgrade to I5-12500t

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I finished recording the Beelink EQ12 Pro video today and actually covered a bit about that with a story about installing Windows 11 Pro.

Reactions: Zepticon and Marsh

nva

Aug 19, 2018

Can I fit BOTH 2.5" SSD and PCIe card?

And Lenovo tiny is still the only 1L platform that can fit a PCIe card, am I correct?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Wow. The entire HP Support methodology seems broken these days. I had a similar issue buying a surplus unit off eBay from a known recycler that had a dead SSD with 32 months warranty remaining. HP questioned the warranty and mentioned "unless bought from us or an authorized reseller the warranty can be void". Essentially told me second-hand units can be worthless warranty-wise. What made it more shocking is I requested the SSD replacement ticket via my work email - and we are a LARGE HP partner for resale and internal use. Sad, but unless that 10GbE module really blows me away, I feel like I am better off buying Lenovo or Dell gear for my lab from now on.
They are. Well, that's not the only thing broken about HP (their marketing/support site leaks info like a bad sieve), but I digress. HP seems to have an issue providing support for your hardware unless you are the first-line customer OR if your vendor actually did a warranty handover (which is usually non-existent in secondary sales sites), which would explain why HP EliteBooks or thin clients of equivalent specs tend to sell for cheaper than their Dell or Lenovo equivalents on eBay. Of course, if you are the original customer and has the Carepack proof of purchase (or can deal with the warranty transfer paperwork, a badly documented/implemented process), it tends to be fairly solid. I dunno, all 3 majors have some serious anti-consumer practices. Lenovo does that e-fuse nonsense locking down APUs to their brand and solders everything down (*cough* p14s gen 3 *cough*) unless you pay extra in their product line for something that still have sockets, Dell won't sell enterprise AMD hardware on their Latitude/Optiplex lines, and HP denies warranty claims unless the paperwork is in order.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
At the AMD event two weeks ago I was in the Ryzen Pro briefing. I asked something along the lines of "Why does Dell hate AMD? They are the only vendor without Ryzen Pro 1L PCs" and I got a chuckle and no comment response.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
At the AMD event two weeks ago I was in the Ryzen Pro briefing. I asked something along the lines of "Why does Dell hate AMD? They are the only vendor without Ryzen Pro 1L PCs" and I got a chuckle and no comment response.
Yeah, and that even extends down to Wyse (or the business unit formerly known as Wyse). Before the Dell takeover they were pretty big on the AMD embedded APUs for their thin clients (even though it's the old Kabini based stuff). Once the 5070 came out they completely dropped them as a vendor.