HP DL380 G6 P410i SSD issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fernando GOmes

Jul 21, 2015
I know this is an ancient thread, but you seem to have gone through some thorough testing, so I could use your insight.

I have tried 4 cheap Transcend SSDs with this controller before, and after a couple of months, each drive started being reported as "failed" by the controller. Removing it and reinserting it would fix, but eventually I went back to the SAS drives I had before. Transcend support would not help me, as the drives were not tested in server RAID environments.

I now want to try it again with different (presumably "better") drives.

Have you experienced any long-term problems with your setup? Do you have any idea whether any form of wear leveling is being done at the drives? I presume the controller does not support wear-leveling, so I want to try some drives that allegedly take care of that by themselves.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Well the LSI 9260/9266/9271's I use - I disable read-ahead, WRITE-THROUGH , Direct cache, enable SSD On board write cache, which lead to best performance. You might try a P420/P430 which are more optimized (HP SMARTPATH) for SSD!

but the point is the SSD controllers in raid - the cache is useless on the raid card and should be bypassed!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I know this is an ancient thread, but you seem to have gone through some thorough testing, so I could use your insight.

I have tried 4 cheap Transcend SSDs with this controller before, and after a couple of months, each drive started being reported as "failed" by the controller. Removing it and reinserting it would fix, but eventually I went back to the SAS drives I had before. Transcend support would not help me, as the drives were not tested in server RAID environments.

I now want to try it again with different (presumably "better") drives.

Have you experienced any long-term problems with your setup? Do you have any idea whether any form of wear leveling is being done at the drives? I presume the controller does not support wear-leveling, so I want to try some drives that allegedly take care of that by themselves.
The P410 will default to after XX seconds, scan and sweep for errors. I've found that older SSD's will come back dead after a period of time due to wear with the P410. Old samsung SLC drives = dead after a weekend of sitting idle.

Fernando GOmes

Jul 21, 2015
The P410 will default to after XX seconds, scan and sweep for errors. I've found that older SSD's will come back dead after a period of time due to wear with the P410. Old samsung SLC drives = dead after a weekend of sitting idle.
That is very useful info, although I don't think that is what happened to my Transcends. The same Transcends that were repeatedly failing in the P410i have been working flawlessly in laptops for 3 months. They report close-to-zero wear, and are indeed performing very well in client workloads.