HP DL180 G6 Storage Server - for Peanuts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
UPDATE: SOLD

I just posted an HP DL180 G6 storage server on eBay for really really cheap: $250 plus shipping.

HP Proliant DL180 G6 Xeon L5520 LSI 6g SAS SATA Trays Rails | eBay

It's an HP DL180 G6 chassis, motherboard, power supply, L5520 CPU, heatsink, rails, 8 disk trays, an LSI SAS2008 HBA, and cables. It also includes an HP cable that provides power for four SSD drives. It's basically everything that you need save for drives and some RAM. I'm running one of these with Infiniband as my backup server - I just don't need two of them.

This version of the DL180 is a bit unique in that it DOES NOT include any expanders and has the four-fan backplane to save power. Add RAM and disks and you have a great Storage Spaces or ZFS storage server.

I recommend adding two cables to make it even better: 1) A SFF-8087 to 7-pin forward breakout cable to connect the LSI card to four SSD drives 2) A 7-pin to SFF-8087 reverse breakout cable to connect four 3.5" drives to the motherboard. With this change, you get a total of 10 3.5" drives plus 4 6G 2.5" SSD drives - perfect for Storage Spaces V2 caching or ZFS caching.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Sorry - sold.

I just posted an HP DL180 G6 storage server on eBay for really really cheap: $250 plus shipping.

HP Proliant DL180 G6 Xeon L5520 LSI 6g SAS SATA Trays Rails | eBay

It's an HP DL180 G6 chassis, motherboard, power supply, L5520 CPU, heatsink, rails, 8 disk trays, an LSI SAS2008 HBA, and cables. It also includes an HP cable that provides power for four SSD drives. It's basically everything that you need save for drives and some RAM. I'm running one of these with Infiniband as my backup server - I just don't need two of them.

This version of the DL180 is a bit unique in that it DOES NOT include any expanders and has the four-fan backplane to save power. Add RAM and disks and you have a great Storage Spaces or ZFS storage server.

I recommend adding two cables to make it even better: 1) A SFF-8087 to 7-pin forward breakout cable to connect the LSI card to four SSD drives 2) A 7-pin to SFF-8087 reverse breakout cable to connect four 3.5" drives to the motherboard. With this change, you get a total of 10 3.5" drives plus 4 6G 2.5" SSD drives - perfect for Storage Spaces V2 caching or ZFS caching.

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
DBA, just entering my US shipping address right now, should be in in a few minutes...yes it wil to be a local freight forwarder.., assuming you in California
ps wasnt slow like last time with the memory....