HP DL180 G6 - Fan noise when not using supported expansion cards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement to my domain controller in my home lab. Living in New Zealand limits what I can get from Ebay due to shipping costs and I've seen an HP DL180G6 for not much money at all. Infact it is about 1/4 less in cost than an equivalently specced Dell R710 when purchased local too. It is configured as so:

Processor: XEON QUAD CORE E5506
Processor speed: 2.13GHZ
RAM Memory: 6GB
Optical Drive: CD & DVD READER

Now, the new machine must have IPMI due to the relatively inaccessible location of my rack for general work and would be tasked with being my essentials/primary domain controller and also act as my TVServer for the custom MediaPortal TV Setup I use. This will be a pure Windows server 2012 baremetal install, so for me this is all about minimum power consumption.

Now, I've heard that the system doesn't like unknown PCIe cards, and given it would be running DVB-S2 satellite cards I can imagine the 'sea of sensor's' will have a spasm and cause all the fans to ramp up to full speed.

I've successfully modified the noisy Dell PE2950 I am running to not be noisy to the point that I can sit with it on in the same room, with the appropriate BMC modification for fan thresholds, so I am more than happy to 'hack' the machine if required.

So, I intend to run the L series Xeons and wondered if there was anything I can do to the machine (if I was to purchase it) that would make it run 'quiet' rather than the high RPM spin storm I've read elsewhere... These older HPs, even in NZ, seem to go cheaper than their equivalent Dell machine and I do not know why...

Any pointers or instructions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris