How to mount 2 SSD inside a Supermicro SC836 3U chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Hello,

I have the old style Supermicro SC836 3U chassis and trying to figure out how to mount my 2 SSD boot drive (drives are mirrored) inside the chassis or where the DVD or floppy disk drive is mounted in the front. The old style does not have the capability to mount the 2 SSD drives in the back of the unit.. I have 2 ground screws in that location. Does Supermicro make any drive cage for 2 SSD drives that would work inside the chassis or where the DVD or floppy disk drive is mounted (in the front of the chassis)?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Can you post some photos of the configuration or explain how the two items work together.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Can you post some photos of the configuration or explain how the two items work together.
I think I may have disassembled them but I will try to find that particular SC836 and take some pictures.
The icydock is for the thin DVD slot area, and the chenbro fits nicely into the FDD slot. Both packages come with all the cables u need . Basically, the SATA connnector goes to your motherboard, and the power to your backplane(which is where your DVD and FDD gets powered anyway)

The SM ones are harder to come by and a little pricier too from what I recall, but they will of course fit perfectly.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I think I may have disassembled them but I will try to find that particular SC836 and take some pictures.
The icydock is for the thin DVD slot area, and the chenbro fits nicely into the FDD slot. Both packages come with all the cables u need . Basically, the SATA connnector goes to your motherboard, and the power to your backplane(which is where your DVD and FDD gets powered anyway)

The SM ones are harder to come by and a little pricier too from what I recall, but they will of course fit perfectly.
I would prefer to use Supermicro parts. Do you know the part number of the Supermicro unit?