How to backup ZFS setup properly ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have read many different option on backing up ZFS setups.
but still did not found any that would work for me.

Please keep in mind!
I do not want to backup to NAS
I do not want to backup to Cloud
I do not want to backup to OTHER SERVER.

reason is simple, I do not have any of those option available.

I am researching a Proxmox setup to build out my one and only VM+File Server config.
Proxmox with ZFS raid-1 boot.
and one or more ZFS pools on it using RAIDZ2 or 3 TBD.
I have a 5TB external USB drive. that holds my current backup of straight copy of files from-to style.

now once my server is up and running I want to implement an option to have backup to the external usb drive. if I have to guess it would be a 2 step process. I will plan and setup an internal pool to have a timed automatic differential backup on the host.
than once a week or once a month, depending on amount of changes to the data, I would connect my external drive and backup everything on my backup pool to it.

is this feasible?
and how would I do that?
what do I need to do, plan, setup for this to work?

thanks

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Autosnapshot script with whatever settings you prefer for the first layer. Then ZFS send/recv to the external, rotating the snapshots. I believe the autosnap script can do that as well, though you might have to do it manually if you disconnect the external drive. Maybe plug it in overnight once a week or whatever to let it copy over?