How important is it to use authorised memory?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dv8inpp

Oct 30, 2018
I recently bought an X8DT3-F motherboard off of Alixpress for $125, including delivery. I have purchased 3 $10 sticks of 2GB DDR3 Hynix memory - HMT125R7TFR8C (2GB 2R*8 PC3-10600R-9-10-B0 dual rank) for testing the motherboard before committing to purchasing 6 * 16GB DDR3 ECC modules at about $40 each delivered. The 2GB modules are not in Supermicros list of authorised modules.

Their list includes HMT125R7AFP4C-G7 single rank and HMT125R7BFR8C-G7 dual rank. I'm wondering if the website means banks instead of ranks, but that's their terminology.

When the memory is installed in the CPU 1 RAM banks work ok. But when installed in the CPU 2 RAM banks the DIMM2A module is not recognised.

When booting the system with the RAM in CPU1 bank then the system counts up to 3GB then does a second count to 6GB. When the RAM is in CPU2 bank then the system counts to 3GB and when it does the second count only gets to 4GB.

So my question is is the memory I'm using only mostly compatible or do you think as it works in CPU1 bank in should also work in CPU2 bank.

The 16GB modules in question are 4 rank

Un-Authorised
HYNIX HMT125R7TFR8C-H9 2GB (1X2GB) 1333MHZ PC3-10600 CL9 DUAL RANK X8 1.5V ECC REGISTERED DDR3 SDRAM 240-PIN RDIMM MEMORY MODULE FOR SERVER. REFURBISHED. DELL OEM

Authorised
HYNIX HMT125R7BFR8C-G7 2GB (1X2GB) 1066MHZ PC3-8500R CL7 DUAL RANK X8 REGISTERED ECC DDR3 SDRAM 240-PIN DIMM MEMORY MODULE

The manual I downloaded off of Supermicro transposes the CPU and RAM banks compared to my motherboard, which show the CPU1 on the right side of the board (with rear I/O panel to your left) not on the left as in on my motherboard

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
All my supermicro boards use crucial & kingston ram that's defintely not on supermicros approved memory list and they work fine.

In theory every ram should work when it fullfils the jedec (ram) specifications.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The issue you describe sounds more like a defunct memory slot on your motherboard.
In most cases, memory that is not on the QVL but has the right specs works just fine.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I assume you've already tried swapping memory around? If it's just the one slot I'd assume a bad slot and if the problem moves I'd suspect a bad stick. :) The vendors can't test everything, and often the stuff that has been tested is old and hard to find. I do tend to follow the validated list a bit more if putting something together that's pushing the performance envelope on a new platform & a new memory standard.

dv8inpp

Oct 30, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping it isn't the memory slot but looks like it is. So can only put 176GB in it :{ and loose a bit of performance.

dv8inpp

Oct 30, 2018
It wasn't that bad after all, did a bit more digging and found this picture for the pinout of a LGA 1366 socket. The problem was with DDR1 so looking at the socket I noticed a slight change on the reflection of light off of a pin in that area. A slight tweek of the pin bought the end of it more in line with the others and now it is recognising the module.

Reactions: Tha_14