Home ESXI replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Just_Visiting

Oct 14, 2011
I'm in need of an upgrade. I currently have an X9SCM as my primary host. It's setup as an All In One with 5 VM's. I also have another HP Z600 serving 4 VM's. It's time to retire the Z600. My storage VM has 24 1TB HD's. I have a few 3TB drives ready for new dedicated storageI'd like to break it all up by doing the following:

Option 1:
1. Build a new host with a Supermicro X8DTi-F motherboard, dual hex-core CPU's, 32+GB RAM.
2. Use the X9SCM to build a Freenas box for dedicated storage with 3TB drives
With dual hex-core processors and 32-48GB RAM, I should be able to power all of my VM's sufficiently. My concern with going back to a single host is no redundancy.

Option 2:
1. Purchase a Supermicro 6026TT-HDTRF Fat Twin
I'll have some redundancy with this option. Concern here is noise since it would be housed in my home office.

Option 3:
1. Purchase a Supermicro 6026TT-TF
This would give me multiple nodes to play with in a really small footprint. Once again, I'm figuring it will be fairly noisy. Even more redundancy here.

Current VM's:
1. Couchpotato/sickbeard/sabnzbd
2. Asterisk PBX
3. Fileserver/Media server
4. Ubiquiti Unifi wireless controller
5. Media streamer
6. Security NVR
7. Windows 7
8. Windows 8

Future VM's:
1. Firewall
2. UTM
3. MySQL DB
4. Windows 10

I'm leaning more towards Option 2 as a good compromise. Most of the Fat Twins come with quad core CPU's. I would sell them for a few bucks to offset the price of some hex-core CPU's. I'm interested in feedback on the fat twins by Supermicro.......THANKS!

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I would get another Sandy/Ivy bridge in your case and run identical CPU's, atleast of the same architecture. In that case you can migratie between machines without being limited by architectural or configuration limitations. Also, I wouldn't underestimate the Sandybridge platform as it is plenty powerful for what you have in mind in my opinion.

Just_Visiting

Oct 14, 2011
If I didn't need to transition to a new storage solution I may have gone with another Sandy bridge. My current X9SCM is generally around 95% cpu utilization.