HGST HUSMM1616ASS201 Shows as SAS 6Gbps after changing values in Niagara for 12Gbps (**** EMC)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Hey everyone, I've been having issues with these stupid HGST 1.6TB SSDs

HGST HUSMM1616ASS201 Shows as SAS 6Gbps, when the datasheet reports the drive family as 12G SAS.

It does have an EMC part number, so I'm assuming the firmware is choking/ rate-limiting the disk?

I followed the Niagara 4.3 guide, and replacing the "9" with 11" for all 4 values of set disk speed, and even used the save function correctly? I tried it twice, showed 11 the second time I checked...

But I cannot see the drive as 12Gbps despite having a 12G controller and mini sas cable plus a 12G disk shelf.

I saw other folks seemed to have success with the 400GB version of these drives, so that's interesting.

Linux reports 12Gb speeds but the hdparm test does not show a value above 800MB/s, which to me seems to indicate a firmware issue.

At a loss here, **** EMC.

If anyone has the firmware & a way to flash these drives, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CyklonDX