Help with 10Gb Mac-to-NAS connection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azjet77

Nov 22, 2023
Current situation:

Code:
                            │
┌───────┐                   │
│Macbook├─────┐             │
│Pro    │     │             │
└───────┘    ┌┴─────────┐   │ Cat5e ┌──────────┐    ┌──────┐
             │1Gb switch├───┼───────┤1Gb switch├────┤Router│
┌───────┐    └┬─────────┘   │       └──────────┘    └──────┘
│Game PC│     │             │
│       ├─────┘             │
└───────┘                   │
                          wall
I am building a new rack-mounted NAS which will have a 10Gb network controller. There will be a Unifi switch with 2 SFP+ ports in the garage too. I'm also picking up a Mac Mini M2 Pro with 10Gb Ethernet (RJ-45) to serve as my main desktop machine in the office.

Questions:
  • What's the best way for me to connect at least the Mini to the NAS over a 10Gb link?
  • Is Cat5e going to be able to handle 10Gb over maybe 30ft distance? Or should I run a new Cat6 cable or maybe even fiber?
  • Could you suggest a 10Gb capable switch with both SFP+ and RJ-45 ports? I need at most 2x SFP+, but at least 4x 1Gb RJ-45 ports to replace the current office switch.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Cat5e works just fine at that distance for 10GbE. No need to run new cable.

Reactions: azjet77

nexox

May 3, 2023
A nice cheap, quiet option for a dual SFP+ switch is the Mikrotik CSS-610-8G-2S+, around $100, has a simple web interface to configure basic layer 2 features, worked for me until I needed more SFP+ ports.

Reactions: azjet77

azjet77

Nov 22, 2023
A nice cheap, quiet option for a dual SFP+ switch is the Mikrotik CSS-610-8G-2S+, around $100, has a simple web interface to configure basic layer 2 features, worked for me until I needed more SFP+ ports.
That looks great. So if I plug Mac Mini into one SFP+ port (with a module) and the other devices into the 1Gb ports, then use the second SFP+ port to connect to the SFP+ port on my Unifi switch it should work? Will there be issues with mixing 1Gb/10Gb traffic over the same link?

nexox

May 3, 2023
That should work just fine, it's what I did with my CSS610 and I still do the same with a collection of other Mikrotik switches.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I have used several brands, they're mostly just about the same thing, though the Mikrotik modules will properly support 2.5GbE in a Mikrotik switch (with recent enough firmware,) in case you need that in the future, and the modules which specify that they'll run over 80m of CAT6 use a little less power than the 30m modules, which might be nice because they're all pretty awful at dissipating heat.