Help Setting up and Installing Jellyfin

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rumpsteak08

Nov 5, 2022
My current setup is

TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial CT8G4DFS824A 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory

And for storage, I have 2 8tb Iron Wolf Pro and 2 6tb Iron Wolf Pro drives in a raidz. I know this isn't the best-case scenario but just the drives I had as I am migrate from old synology NAS's.

I installed Jellyfin from the applications page and from true NAS, not true charts. I added my media folder as additional storage for the application.
I have set up Jellyfin with no problems. Can access the server from my LG webOS TV and from my Windows computer as well as from a browser, however, no matter what format I save the files in (the mkv as MakeMKV reads off of the DVD or using Handbrake to turn the MKV into an MP4) when I try and play the files Jellyfin says that
Playback Error

This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format.

Furthermore, I have set the movies library to a folder called movies but if I save the film files in
/movies/Film (2012)/Film (2012).mkv
then Jellyfin will not recognise the file is there and not add it to the library. Even though this is how the documentation recommends sorting it. If I put the film file in just /movies then it will pull the metadata and populate in the library but just no play.
Jellyfin does not even recognise the resolution or the coding used for any of the files. VLC plays them fine off of my PC but not Jellyfin on the computer.

I can provide any log files that TrueNAS or Jellyfin will have created if needed, but please tell me roughly where on the system I will find them.

Have I set a setting wrong or should I have used either the command line or TrueCharts to install Jellyfin. Or am I not using the correct Handbrake/MakeMKV settings.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I remember having problems with playback with incorrect settings for hardware accelerated transcoding. If you enabled hardware support, switch back to software-only transcoder and checked if the error disappeared. I used the official jellyfin docker image.
For ripping, I used MakeMKV with default settings (cli and gui versions)
I did not have any problems with directory naming, so I can't help much. Check in the logs for any error messages referring to this folder. It may be an issue with permissions on the file or directory.

rumpsteak08

Nov 5, 2022
I had posted this on the TrueNAS forum as well, people had said they had run into lots of issues and recommended running in docker inside an Ubuntu VM. Thanks for your help and will hopefully be able to make it work somehow.

Dopamin3

Aug 30, 2023
On TrueNAS Core the built in applications provided by iXsystems are flaming hot garbage, from that track record I would not recommend ever deploying any sort of application from them on Scale either. I got burned once and learned iocage jails and pkg/ports.

Given Scale is based on Debian and has support for creating Docker containers, can you just try deploying the official or Linuxserver.io images from the documenation: Container | Jellyfin ? It seems redundant to me to have a Debian based OS, then spin up another Debian based (Ubuntu) VM just so you can run a Docker container.