help locating module for D-LINK DXS-3227 24 port GB switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
Specifically I'm looking for the DEM-411x uplink/10gbe adapter (the switch has room for 2). D-Link | DEM-411X 1 Port 10GBASE-X XFP Fiber Module

I bought the switch because their inexpensive and seemed like a decent option (24 ports of 1GbE and 1 easy 10GbE port and the possibility of 2 more 10GbE ports). The single 10GbE XFP port on the front works great, but I've had serious problems finding the uplink modules (for anything approaching reasonable 2nd hand prices anyway). I'm guessing I'll have to get lucky and find another switch itself with the modules already installed and just grab the whole thing.

I've been toying with 10GbE and infiniband for a SAN/NAS setup for my wifes photography business. I just wanted a nice, safe (RAID10 type) setup on a ESX box (the ESX box so I could "play" with it since I used to be a VMware admin/engineer before I became disabled). It was kind of geek withdrawls since my illness took me out of the "biz".

Anyway, the IB is mostly working (had to move back to ESX 4.1 U3 for the drivers to play nice) but i've been fascinated with 10GbE for a while now and much prefer the cable options (inexpensive and very small/thin fiber cable VS massive thick CX4 cable). Right now here is what I have in networking gear to play with:

DXS 3227 with a 10GbE XFP module
Voltaire 24 port SDR infiniband fabric/switch
3 dual port intel 1GbE cards.
4 IB cards of various types (1 qlogic with onboard ram and 3 various mellanox cards, all DDR I believe)
1 Netxen 10GbE single port PCIe adapter I grabbed real cheap without any real research. Seems it has crap driver support (but does work in ESX 4)
2 brocade 2 port 1020 10GbE CNA cards (again, got them cheap but without much research. Seems the CNAs can be a real pain, but haven't messed with them yet).

I was hoping to get a DEM-411x for the Dlink switch and run a 10GbE from the client (wifes PC) to the switch and from the switch to the ESX box and then just use 1GbE for my box, or if I get ansy use the second 411x slot for a 3rd 10GbE connection or just port bond/LAG/etc using a 4 port intel GbE card. Seeing how hard it is to find the 411x modules for less then a grand each I might just go point to point with the 10GbE or the IB stuff and sell the IB switch and keep the 24port dlink (with its single 10GbE port) for general network duty. Regardless I'm mostly out of cash until I offload extra stuff I dont need (like 8 10k 2.5" raptor 300GB drives). I'm rambling now. Time for bed.

If you guys have any ideas on where you might go with the setup I'd be happy to hear them. Then I can decide what to keep and what to send on to the next geek :)