Help decoding kernel crash [ESXi, Napp-IT]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Help decoding kernel crash [ESXi, Omnios w/Napp-IT]

Hi guys!

My server experienced a crash and reboot today. It has happened three times now (previous post), about once a month. And I can't seem to decode the error logs.

The server runs ESXi 5.1, with only the one OmniOS VM (v11 r151006) with Napp-IT.

Logs:
Error log (via napp-it)
Output of fmdump

If you need any more info, please let me know. It would be awesome to get some help to decode this. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Hi guys!

My server experienced a crash and reboot today. It has happened three times now (previous post), about once a month. And I can't seem to decode the error logs.

The server runs ESXi 5.1, with only the one OmniOS VM (v11 r151006) with Napp-IT.

Logs:
Error log (via napp-it)
Output of fmdump

If you need any more info, please let me know. It would be awesome to get some help to decode this. Thanks! :)
The logs are not really helpful for kernel panics once a month.
Kernel panics are mostly hardware problems, mostly RAM problems or power stability problems.
Other hardware problems or driver problems are also possible.

There is no easy way to find the reason.
I would first do extensive RAM tests or remove half of the RAM then the other half, optionally replace the power supply or add an UPS if AC is not stable. Maybe you can stress the system with slight overheating (disable cooling partially) so the problem may occur more often.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you @gea, helpfull as always! :)

I'll give your tips a go as soon as I am able. Especially the ram part (which is easiest), and maybe test ESXi 5.5 too see if that was the problem. When the system only ran nexenta core and no ESXi, it did not have any problems like this. Thankfully it is not a super critical system.