HC550, 4kn, in a DS1821+ / Windows 10

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Seeking some help with a couple of DC550 drives - WUH721818ALN604 - 4kn (native). I've tried these drives with my synology DS1821+, but no luck with initalizing them. They were identified - added their details in to the supported drive list using this script. but no luck. See screen captures.

The reseller suggested that I try them out in a Windows 10 machine, to try running wd hugo on them. But, Windows wouldn't initialize the drives, and hugo wouldn't format them.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve the problem? They could be DOA (but the reseller thinks unlikely), but, then how do I get them running.

thanks

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 09.39.14 am.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-26 at 08.09.19 am.pngCapture.jpeg
Capture2.jpeg

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Did your drive spin up? 3.3v pin or a custom Facebook firmware could be a source of the problem. Look at the output of smartctl utility

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Did your drive spin up? 3.3v pin or a custom Facebook firmware could be a source of the problem. Look at the output of smartctl utility
Had to use a molex to stata adapter to connect the drive to the Windows machine, else it wasn't spinning up - seen in windows. Wouldn't think the drive has a custom facebook firmware, (proper usual static sealed bags) - the reseller marked the drives as an OEM drive from large order - installation that he had locally here.

Please correct me - but seeing that the Smart data failed - means it's a busted drive?

I did try different sata ports / different sata cables, but with the same result with the 4kn drive. Other HDDs with the same cables at the ports work fine.

smartctl.JPG