HBA passthrough

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Testing out the Hyper-V role within Server 2022 in the lab, with it I've got a pair of storage spaces mirrored SSDs for VM storage but I'm looking to pass-through a SAS2008 device to a VM and hitting a wall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
$pnpdevs = Get-PnpDevice | where {($_.Class -eq "SCSIAdapter") -and ($_.FriendlyName -like "LSI*")}
Disable-PnpDevice -InstanceId $pnpdevs.PNPDeviceID

Set-VM -HighMemoryMappedIoSpace 6Gb -VMName $myvm
Set-VM -GuestControlledCacheTypes $true -VMName $myvm

Add-VMAssignableDevice -LocationPath "PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)" -VMName $myvm
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Add-VMAssignableDevice : The specified device 'PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)' was not found on server 'hyper-1'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-VMAssignableDevice -LocationPath "PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)" ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [Add-VMAssignableDevice], VirtualizationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidParameter,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.AddVmAssignableDevice

Is this even possible within Hyper-V?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I think this issue alone drove a bazillion customers straight into the waiting arms of VMWare. M$, if nothing else, are consistent at shooting themselves in the foot :D

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I think this issue alone drove a bazillion customers straight into the waiting arms of VMWare. M$, if nothing else, are consistent at shooting themselves in the foot :D
Aware it's an edge case issue. In a business setting I wouldn't be running it but in test labs, that's another story. For some, to get the M$ adoption at a business...it starts with home labs.