Have you been able to flash ConnectX-3 VPI controllers with ConnectX-3 Pro firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No longer recommend any cx3/cx3pro products, because PFC and other roce-related functions are flawed
Contemporaneous products, using sx2's sx6xxx and sn17xx switches will also have such a situation, you will encounter the problem that the traffic cannot be fully loaded, or even the data is interrupted.
cx4lx is cheap enough, it’s time to put down these EOL products ;)
Hm? Is that RoCE v1 only or v2 too? Or only the CX3 line? Pro's too? Got any links with details?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Now I'm curious, becaase roce v2 (used in the cx-3 pro) is still the current roce version and used by hyperscalers, smb enterprises and by people like Rand__ , me and probably you in homelabs :D

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
Hm? Is that RoCE v1 only or v2 too? Or only the CX3 line? Pro's too? Got any links with details?
sx2 (same for cx3/cx3pro) will encounter the problem that pfc cannot correctly identify the traffic in v2, and ecn will also encounter the same situation in v1 (for example, the traffic in a certain direction will not be fully loaded)
These problems may not exist on switches/network cards that do not support roce or disable flow control related functions.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
That was a quick test using Windows. No other setting changes required. Not using RoCE but no doubt will work. I am not using VMware for RoCE at this time as my fiber buildout is not complete. Honestly I am taking it a step at a time. Get regular ethernet working then think about what stacks to use to get more performance. @Rand__ is correct. One needs to make sure all components work. CX3s are on the outs with newer VMware versions and I am migrating away from that to Proxmox.
Was my first go-around with any Mellanox stuff, I hadn't thought about testing before modding. In retrospect, sounds like a very good idea. They were all 10GbE/40GbIB cards, so something about the mod must have gone right. Just looked up my purchase history, yep, as I suspected, I messed up and bought QDR cables. Bah - Title:

New Mellanox HP 498386-B24 5M 4x DDR/QDR QSFP IB Fiber Optic Cable (H1290) $25/ea
I can't remember the exact state of mind I was in when I made that blunder, but my guess is something like I wasn't going to pay $50+/cable when the CX3s were $30-$35. But it's kind of nice to know it's not a problem with cards, and I can relax and stop worrying about it.

Re: Linux, it does make more sense to go FOSS for both experimental reasons, or being so tight your ass cheeks could mint a diamond. Why Proxmox instead of just a vanilla distro? I never quite got that, it's just Linux with a web interface.

If you like that kinda stuff, have you seen this new project Harvester? It's another all-in-one solution like Proxmox, but is aimed at converting the paradigm of using VMs "manually" into managing their lifecycles more like microservices: Harvester GitHub - harvester/harvester: Open source hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) software

Closed-source stuff is generally more stable, but as a result is always playing feature catch-up - this new kubernetes lifecycle management is some groundbreaking shit. Also, the distributed persistent object storage systems like ceph (or even just block like longhorn and openebs). Pretty mindblowing when it comes down to it.

Kind of worth it just to sit back and reflect for a second on how truly amazing all this stuff is. Makes me feel less bad about buying QDR cables by accident.

Reactions: rocketpanda40

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Ok, I dont think I undestood that;)

Could you please elaborate some more? Thanks
I think that dude was saying he doesn't think there's a C0 stepping bug in the Celestica DX010 (?)

I dunno, maybe I should grab one before all muh money gone. If I get one and send you pictures of the motherboard, can you help me figure out which pin to jump, "just in case"?

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
These problems may not exist on switches/network cards that do not support roce or disable flow control related functions.
Just run your non-pro cards in IB mode. Problem solved. It's not that hard to set up the subnet manager. Don't need RDMA in IB mode, IB is already the best latency you can get.