Hardware RAID card worth the price for RAID0/1/10

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I just bought 4 450GB raptors to replace an SSD, I need space more than low access times. Right now it is set up on Windows SW RAID 0 because after testing, it was the fastest throughput vs Intel RAID. Will I see any benefit from going to a HW RAID card like a M5015(9260)? Also are there any HW RAID cards that will read from each part of a mirror in parallel? TIA

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
RAID 0, 1 and 10 is a waste going to HW RAID the intel controller does a very good job at this (using your CPU)
Very little processing goes on, RAID5 and 6 are different and HW RAID makes a difference.
The big benefit is the ability of a HW controller to access more than 2x SAS2/SATA3 drives, the LGA1155 based CPU's can only use SATA3 on 2 drives all the rest use SATA2.
With SSD SATA3 is going to make a big difference, but with HDD SATA2 is plenty of bandwidth as the spindle cannot even saturate SATA2