Hard Drive Collection... 4-5TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I need to start my spinny disk collection this month so I can offload my ssd for a mirrored zfs pool.
As much as I like the 8TB disks a dozen 4 or 5's in a couple of zfs raidz pools is enough disk to keep me amused and by the time I need more 8TB disks will get cheaper.

So... What is the current star of the bunch that I should start sniping on fleabay?

thanks,
robert

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I would have to say the HGST 3TB Ultrastar is still king, in terms of value, in my book, capacity vs cost vs performance is excellent. The 4TB has some good deals on too, but isn't quite as good a deal for the capacity. The disk I have been watching for a while now is the HE6 :)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i'd have to agree with pricklypunter that 3TB HGST is currently best $/TB and they are overall very reliable drives so getting them used still have plenty of service life left. I think i see them go for about $55-$60/3TB drive.

that said, I have 4x 4TB HGST Ultrastars that have been fully tested that i'd like to sell. :)

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
i'd have to agree with pricklypunter that 3TB HGST is currently best $/TB and they are overall very reliable drives so getting them used still have plenty of service life left. I think i see them go for about $55-$60/3TB drive.

that said, I have 4x 4TB HGST Ultrastars that have been fully tested that i'd like to sell. :)
As the gentleman said how much? :)