Hard drive being read constantly - Win 2012 R2 Essentials

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I disconnected the LSI SAS card and corresponding drives from my main server today, leaving only the SATA drives that I moved all of my movie files over to plus the SATA drives that were already there in the server. (not sure if that removal has anything to do with the issue I am about to describe, but thought I would mention it) My server began reading every single file from a drive that had been there all along that houses all of my personal photos and videos, and also some 3D movie ISOs and other movie files. Drive indexing WAS turned on (has always been I guess), so I turned it off while trying to troubleshoot this, but that did not help. It is still reading that drive right now in fact. All day.

I have been checking it in resource manager all day and can see that PID 4 is reading all of these files, and I can see what files it is reading, but I have no idea why it is doing it. It is a constant 100MB/s + read of the entire disk, file by file. What could have happened and how can I stop it? I hope it will just quit when it gets to the end of the disk, but I fear it may just start on one of the other disks. I run Crashplan and Emby server on this machine as well, but those don't "seem" to have anything to do with this... Thanks for any help.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Well it quit after finishing that drive. Still no idea why it was reading every single file.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I have the same issue with one my servers. What controller Yu using and drive firmware?